Reducing your energy consumption this summer will save you money and conserve our power resources. Suggested ideas to keep the air conditioner turned down or turned off during a hot spell. In time we are able to acclimatize our bodies to the outside temperature; however, we have become accustomed to cooler temperatures in the summer and the warmer temperatures in the winter.
Cooling Down Tips
- Replace the heavy dark fabrics from windows, beds and sofas with soft light colored fabrics
- Keep the drapes drawn during the day.
- Open the windows in the early evening to let the fresh night air flow through the home.
- Put a small fan near the open windows to help with circulating the air.
- Install water fountains in the living room or family area. Chose a size suitable for the area. Install more than 1 if you have space. The sound of the water will lower your temperature. You can play tricks on the body to cool yourself.
- Have a fan circulating the air near the water fountain. It gives a nice breeze.
- Play music with water in the background. If it is an extremely hot day, play winter music to bring you back to the coldness.
- Fill spray bottles with distilled water. Periodically mist the room and yourself.
- Wear light colored clothes made from natural fibers. The synthetic fibers make you sweat more because it blocks the body from sweating freely.
- Keep the body well hydrated. Increase your water intake from 8 to 10 on those very hot days. Stay away from sugary drinks.
- Eat light meals such as salad and soups. Limit starch as it makes the body feel heavy and causes you to feel warmer.
- Embrace the warm weather. Work with it, not against it. Keep chores to a minimal in the summer. The heat makes your body slow down.
- Imagine yourself sitting on a glacier in Alaska on those very hot days. Jump through the sprinkler.
- Place a cool facecloth on the back of your neck or mist it with your spray bottle.
The Art of Keeping Cool Meditation
The key to keeping cool in a home environment with no air conditioner and limited fans is powered by your mind.
Cool Meditation Exercise
Lie on the floor or on the ground with your head supported if desired.
Ceramic floors are ideal if you do this inside the home. Outside of the home, stretch out on a flat surface that provides you with some shade.
Close your eyes and just relax the entire body. If a part of the body feels tense, gently squeeze the muscle and release.
Breathe slowly and softly.
After the body has begun to relax, begin the cool meditation. Do not become anxious, if you are still thinking about your worries; just let it flow through you.
Cool Meditation Visualization
Visualize a waterfall that is deep within a forested region. The falls are cascading down and you are being sprayed by the cool mountain water as you lie on your back in this natural setting. Just experience this feeling and be calm. Try and remember a time when you felt refreshed on a hot sunny day and try and recapture the moment in your mind.
The key is to relax and really experience this moment.
This exercise will cool the body and make the heat less unbearable. As you release the image, be sure to feel the coolness of the mountain water and keep it with you throughout the day.